See something out of date on this page? Suggest an update to this program
The janitorial track of the NRTA trains NYCHA residents in housing caretaker services and helps graduates find related employment.
The NYCHA Resident Training Academy (NRTA) Janitorial Track trains NYCHA residents for caretaker opportunities. The 4 week training (modified to 2 week in person & remote instruction due to Covid-19 restrictions) provides a combination of soft skills instruction, job readiness, and hard skills training to maintain grounds and public spaces . After successful completion, graduates receive job placement assistance.
To qualify for training, you must:
- Be an authorized NYCHA Resident
- Be 18 years old or over
- Have valid working documentation
- Be able to work for 8 hours on your feet
- Be able to pass a drug test
- Be able to pass the NRTA Entrance Exam with a score of minimum score of 70% in reading and math levels
You do not need a high school diploma or GED.
Selection into the program is based on successful completion of all steps in the application process and meeting the training partner’s applicant criteria.
Training hours are Monday to Friday, 8am-4pm.
The NRTA has a competitive application process with multiple steps:
- Take a test to assess your reading and math level
- If you pass the test, you will be scheduled a pre-screening appointment
- Additional steps to follow