This program helps students learn basic skills in reading and math to prepare for high school equivalency classes.
Adult Basic Education (ABE) programs help adults improve reading, writing, and math skills. The program serves native-English or English-fluent speakers.
Who it's for
Programs provide services to New Yorkers who:
- Are at least 16 years old
- Are not enrolled or required to be enrolled in secondary school
- Do not have mastery of basic educational skills
The schedule varies with each provider.
Find and connect to Adult Basic Education programs by visiting Discover DYCD. To find a provider on Discover DYCD:
- Type in the Keyword Search “Adult Basic Education” to find a list of providers
- Filter based on where providers are located
- Reach out to providers directly by phone or email to learn more about their programs and how to apply
While each provider has their own application process, most ask you to complete an application and take a TABE test to determine proper placement in classes.
See something out of date on this page? Suggest an update