This year-long program offers CUNY computer science majors hands-on skills training and connections to jobs.
CUNY Tech Prep is a year-long program for upper-level Computer Science majors from CUNY senior colleges. The program offers applied skills through projects in web development and data science. Participants get tech-specific career coaching and technical interview preparation. CUNY Tech Prep also connects students to technical internships and full-time software engineering and related jobs. Most jobs start with a salary of at least of $65,000 per year.
Who it's for
CUNY Tech Prep is open to students who:
- Are enrolled in a bachelor degree program at a CUNY senior college in Fall 2020
- Intend to graduate by Fall 2022
- Have completed a course in Data Structures
- Are a Computer Science or related major
- Have NOT completed another program funded by Tech Talent Pipeline (TTP), such as a TTP Residency program
- Are eligible for Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WOIA) programs, which includes those who:
- Are 18 years or older
- Are eligible to work in the US
- Are registered for selective service, if required by law
- Earn less than $50,000 per year
Students attend two semesters of CUNY Tech Prep, with ten hours of hands-on technical training each month, usually held in the evenings.
Please complete the CUNY Tech Prep Interest Form if you’re graduating in Fall 2021 or later to connect to updates about the 2021-2022 cohort.
When the application opens, students apply through an online application that asks for participant information, past experience, and essay questions. They then complete a HackerRank assessment and complete a final interview with industry or program staff.
See something out of date on this page? Suggest an update