How can we improve this website? Let us know by sending us feedback
The Finishing Trades Institute of New York will conduct a recruitment from May 20, 2022, through June 3, 2022, for 50 Metal Refinisher apprentices.
The Committee requires that applicants:
- Must be at least 18 years old.
- Must have a high school diploma or a high school equivalency diploma (such as TASC or GED). Proof will be required at the time of enrollment in apprenticeship.
- Must attend a mandatory orientation which includes a site evaluation and completing a personal statement (provided during orientation).
- Must sign an affidavit attesting that they are physically able to perform the work of a Metal refinisher, which may include:
- Lifting and moving heavy fixtures, equipment and compound up to 70 pounds.
- Working from ladders, scaffolds, and personal lifts.
- Must take and pass a drug test, at the expense of the sponsor, after selection and randomly throughout the apprenticeship.
- Must pass a physical exam at the expense of sponsor.
- Must be able to read, hear, and understand instructions and warnings in English.
For further information, applicants should contact Finishing Trades Institute of New York at (718) 937-7440. Additional job search assistance can be obtained at your local New York State Department of Labor Career Center (see: dol.ny.gov/career-centers).
Apprentice programs registered with the Department of Labor must meet standards established by the Commissioner. Under state law, sponsors of programs cannot discriminate against applicants because of race, creed, color, national origin, age, sex, disability, or marital status. Women and minorities are encouraged to submit applications for apprenticeship programs. Sponsors of programs are required to adopt affirmative action plans for the recruitment of women and minorities.
Applications can be obtained, in person only, from the Finishing Trades Institute of New York, 45-15 36th Street, Long Island City, NY, from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, during the recruitment period. This is a limited-application recruitment. Only 500 applications will be distributed, on a first-come, first-served basis. The recruitment will be offered for 10 business days or until 500 applications have been issued, whichever comes first.