Let us know what you think about this website by sending us feedback
Community Engagement Specialist
Communications ＆ Intergovernmental Affairs, Constituent Services ＆ Community Programs with NYC Office of Emergency Management (NYCEM)
Full-time, 40 hours per week
$57,500 - $65,000 per year
Last updated on Mar 16, 2023
- Coordinate and execute outreach strategies focused on engaging older adults and people with disabilities, access, and functional needs on the topic of emergency preparedness.
- Develop new and existing partnerships with older adult centers, disability-services agencies, health care providers, government agencies, social services sites, hospital social workers, home and community-based services providers, and others to expand reach of Ready NY program.
- Serve as a liaison between the Community Engagement Bureau and other City agency partners such as NYC Aging and Mayor’s Office for People with Disability.
- Organize preparedness events, webinars, and training classes with a focus on engaging people with disabilities, access, and functional needs and/or older adults.
- Support overall Ready NY program by conducting presentations and sharing information at tabling events to community stakeholders.
- Collaborate throughout the Bureau to assess and develop cross program outreach efforts.
- Participate in team development of Ready NY social media content to promote emergency preparedness messaging related to outreach strategies.
- Ensure data quality, accurate tracking, and reporting of outreach engagements.
- Support the overall program administration, such as managing the program’s weekly calendar of events, train new presenters, organize ordering of Ready NY guides for outreach events and maintain information on database.
- Attend in-service training and unit meetings as well as any other agency-related activities.
- Stay current on community engagement activities and complete other program-related duties as assigned.
- Support emergency response and recovery as a member of the Emergency Operations Center On-Call team.
The selected candidate will be assigned to periodic Emergency Operations Center team and will be expected to work non-business hours during emergencies. The selected candidate will also participate in drills and exercises, assist with Ready NY presentations to external groups, and will undertake special projects as assigned. The candidate will be expected to attend community meetings and events that happen outside of regular business hours (e.g. evenings and weekends).
Minimum Qual Requirements
- A master’s degree from an accredited college in emergency management, public administration, urban planning, engineering, economics, political science, the physical sciences or related field and one year of satisfactory full-time professional experience in one or a combination of the following: emergency management, fire, police, or military service, public safety, public health, public administration, urban planning, engineering, or another specialized area to which the appointment is to be made; or
- A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college and two years of satisfactory full-time professional experience in the areas listed in “1” above; or
- A four-year high school diploma or its educational equivalent approved by a state’s
department of education or a recognized accrediting organization and six years of satisfactory full-time professional experience in the areas listed in “1” above, at least two years of which must have been in one of those areas, or another specialized area to which the appointment is to be made.
- Direct experience in working with older adults, people with disabilities, and understanding of disability-related issues preferred.
- Ability to interact respectfully and professionally with persons who have different cultural and socio-economic backgrounds and work well independently as well as part of a team.
- Excellent written and oral communication and organizational skills.
- Knowledge of and experience in working with community-based organizations, government agencies, local department of social services sites, and city-wide coalitions.
- Experience organizing and managing community engagement events.
- Ability to travel between and throughout NYC boroughs.
- Proficiency with virtual platforms such as Zoom, MS Teams, etc.
- Some after-hours and weekend work are required.
- Bilingual skills a plus.