Let us know what you think about this website by sending us feedback
Climber and Pruner
Building Operations ＆ Maintenance with NYC Department of Parks & Recreation (NYC Parks)
NYC All Boroughs
Last updated 3 days ago
NYC Parks manages more than 30,000 acres, 14% of the city’s land, encompassing more than 5,000 individual properties. Our diverse set of assets includes recreational facilities, nature centers, historic buildings and structures, trees, forests, wetlands, golf courses, athletic fields, playgrounds, tennis courts, public pools, comfort stations, retaining walls, and nearly 14 miles of beaches.
NYC Parks offers an excellent benefits package including pension, health, dental and vision coverage, vacation/sick days, union membership and on-the-job training.
- Under supervision, perform all types of work required for the planting, maintenance and removal of trees and large shrubs.
- Climb, prune, brace, cut and fell trees and large shrubs.
- Operate bucket truck, including aerial lift and cherry picker, as well as chipper and other similar equipment.
- Identify hazard defects of trees and ensure public safety.
- Spray trees and large shrubs and perform tree inspections.
- Identify trees by species and inspect for the Asian Longhorned Beetle and other pests and diseases.
- Prepare and use composting sites.
Six months of satisfactory, full-time experience as a climber and pruner or arborist performing all types of tree work required for the planting, maintenance, and removal of trees and large shrubs including climbing, pruning, bracing, cutting and felling trees and large shrubs and operating manual, power driven and motorized equipment required for the performance of these duties.
Experience as a ground person is not acceptable towards meeting this requirement.
Driver License Requirement: At the time of appointment, eligibles must possess a motor vehicle driver license valid in the State of New York, and a Class B Commercial Driver License valid in the State of New York within one year of being appointed to this position. Serious moving violations, license suspension or accident record may disqualify you. This Class B Commercial Driver License must be maintained for the duration of your employment. Such license must not include any restrictions which would preclude the performance of Climber and Pruner work.