Let us know what you think about this website by sending us feedback
Associate Data Engineer
Technology, Data ＆ Innovation with NYC Office of Technology and Innovation (OTI)
Full-time, 35 hours per week
$54,281 - $77,250 per year
Last updated on Mar 16, 2023
We are seeking a motivated, data focused, entry level Data Engineer to join our Data Science Team. Our Data Science Team strives to make security data a strategic asset by providing a platform to structure, manage, integrate, control, analyze, and support threat management activities. As a Data Engineer, you will help build a secure, scalable, and cloud native data processing frameworks that will support NYC3’s cybersecurity mission.
- Develop and maintain our data pipeline using Apache Beam, Java, Python and other data processing technologies;
- Identify and implementing performance improvements across all pipelines;
- Engage with data consumers and producers in order to design appropriate models to suit all needs;
- Maintain information exchanges through publish, subscribe, and alert functions that enable users to send and receive critical information as required;
- Supporting incident management, service-level management, change management, release management, continuity management, and availability management for databases and data management systems;
- Administer databases and/or data management systems that allow for the secure storage, query, protection, and utilization of data.
Minimum Qualification Requirements
1. A baccalaureate degree, from an accredited college including or supplemented by twenty-four (24) semester credits in cyber security, network security, computer science, computer programming, computer engineering, information technology, information science, information systems management, network administration, or a pertinent scientific, technical or related area; or
2. A four-year high school diploma or its equivalent approved by a State’s department of education or a recognized accrediting organization and three years of satisfactory experience in any of the areas described in “1” above; or
3. Education and/or experience equivalent to “1” or “2”, above. College education may be substituted for up to two years of the required experience in “2” above on the basis that sixty (60) semester credits from an accredited college is equated to one year of experience. In addition, twenty-four (24) credits from an accredited college or graduate school in cyber security, network security, computer science, computer programming, computer engineering, information technology, information science, information systems management, network administration, or a pertinent scientific, technical or related area; or a certificate of at least 625 hours in computer programming from an accredited technical school (post high school), may be substituted for one year of experience.
The preferred candidate should possess the following:
• Experience with the Agile Development Methodology;
• Practical knowledge of both Java and Python;
• Familiarity with Unix scripting, Web development, and automated testing;
• Familiarity with machine learning techniques and machine learning toolkits such as R, scikit-learn, etc.;
• Experience working with Terraform;
• Familiarity with the CI/CD process;
• At least one year professional, academic, or personal experience with software development or data engineering experience (includes internship experience);
• At least 1 year professional, academic, or personal experience with object-oriented/object function scripting languages; preferably java or python;
• Familiarity with or exposure to cloud application development;
• Familiarity with distributed data processing frameworks.
Special Note: Taking and passing civil service exams are necessary to maintain employment with the City of New York. Please check the Department of Citywide Administrative Services (DCAS) website (http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcas/html/work/exam_monthly.shtml) for important exam filing information. Please ensure that you are either a permanent employee in the civil service title listed on this posting, or, that you file for the examination when there is an open filing period. For more information regarding the civil service process, please visit the DCAS website at: http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcas/html/work/work.shtml
* Interested applicants with other civil service titles who meet the preferred requirements should also submit a resume for consideration
For City employees, please go to Employee Self Service (ESS), click on Recruiting Activities > Careers, and search for Job ID #520079
For all other applicants, please go to NYC JOBS #520079