English and math prep for new CUNY students
CUNY Start by City University of New York (CUNY)
Earning a college degree, Improving English skills
1 to less than 3 months, Daytime
Last updated 2 days ago
Students can get help meeting CUNY’s standards and preparing for college courses.
Students entering a CUNY college can take classes to help them meet their English and math level requirements. These classes are open to students at certain CUNY campuses across all five boroughs.
CUNY Start is open to students who:
- Earned a high school or high school equivalency (HSE or GED) diploma
- Completed all CUNY admissions requirements
- Have been accepted to a campus that offers the CUNY Start/ Math Start program
- Need extra help with English, math, or both based on your CUNY English and math placement tests (your “proficiency index score“)
- Have been recommended to the program
Visit the CUNY Start page for more information on eligibility.
To join CUNY Start:
- Complete all CUNY admissions requirements.
- Connect with the CUNY Start/ Math Start program at your campus.
- Attend an information session.
- Pay your $75 CUNY Start student fee. A small number of fee waivers may be available; contact the program you’re interested in if the fee is a barrier to joining the program.
Classes cost $35 to $75 depending on how long they run. A small number of fee waivers may be possible.