This four-week program prepares unemployed New Yorkers to work as commercial drivers.
This program helps unemployed New Yorkers who already have their Class D licenses to start new careers in commercial driving. Through four weeks of training, the program preps students to take the NYS Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) road test. It also helps grads find a job driving school buses, coach buses, trucks, and more within a network of NYC employers.
To be eligible for this training program, you must:
- Live in NYC
- Be legally allowed to work in the US
- Be 21 years or older
- Be low-income, unemployed, or receive public assistance
- Be able to pass a drug test
- Have no DWIs or DUIs
- Have had a valid NY State Driver’s License for at least two years, with no more than one of these:
- Four points or fewer
- One suspension (must be cleared for at least two years)
- One conviction showing on the driver record
- Be able to attend training Monday–Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
New Yorkers with a criminal record are encouraged to apply.
Training takes place Monday through Friday during the day for 4–5 weeks of training.
You can apply for the program in any of these ways:
- Email a driving record («driving abstract») that’s less than 30 days old to Isteak Hossain at email@example.com
- Complete the Red Hook on the Road Intake Form
- Call 718-237-4846 ext. 236
To take part in the program, you must
- meet the eligibility requirements above
- attend an orientation
- pass a drug test
- have an interview
- do a medical screening