In this program, women can get training to start careers in the construction unions.
Nontraditional Employment (NEW) helps women achieve economic independence and get connected to unionized, skilled blue-collar careers. It serves women from underserved communities as well as transgender and non-binary people. Through a tailored course and hands-on activities, NEW prepares you to succeed in building and construction trades unions. NEW graduates go on to work as carpenters, electricians, ironworkers, laborers, plumbers, and operating engineers.
To be eligible for this program, you should:
- Be over 18 years old
- Be an NYC resident
- Have a High School Diploma or Equivalency
- Have a valid ID and Social Security Card
- Be interested in a career in the construction trades
- Be willing to commit to an apprenticeship program that can last up to four years
- Be able to attend unpaid training during the day, Monday through Friday. Some evening and weekend classes are also available. (Training is mostly virtual or remote, with some in-person.)
- Have a computer, tablet, or mobile device for participation in virtual/remote training
If you’re interested in NEW, attend an online information session. Find a session time.