These free classes help NYC English Language Learners improve their English skills.
New Yorkers can take free virtual classes to help them improve their English language communication skills.
Who it's for
Classes are free to participants who:
- Are residents of New York City
- Are low-income
- Are at least 16 years old
- Are not enrolled in school right now
- Do not have a high school diploma, unless it’s a Foreign or IEP Degree
- Cannot, speak, read, or write the English language well enough to participate in education or training programs in English
To help decide if you’re eligible, you must take a Best Plus test, which assesses English language skills. The program that you’re accepted into will receive your results.
Classes are offered remotely for a minimum of 6 hours per week.
Find and connect to programs by visiting Discover DYCD. To find a provider on Discover DYCD:
- Type in the Keyword Search “English for Speakers of Other Languages” to find a list of providers
- Filter based on where providers are located
- Reach out to providers directly by phone or email to learn more about their programs and how to apply
- Create an account in DiscoverDYCD and apply online
While each provider has their own process, all applicants must complete an application and take a Best Plus test to determine proper placement in classes.