CLIP helps students entering CUNY to improve their academic English skills before they start college.
CUNY Language Immersion Program (CLIP) is an English as a Second Language (ESL) program for students starting at a CUNY college. Through CLIP, you can improve your academic English before starting college. You can also develop personal relationships to help you succeed throughout your studies at CUNY.
Who it's for
You can take part in CLIP if you’ve:
- Been accepted to any CUNY college
- Have been designated as an ESL student
- Have been informed that you need to improve your English proficiency
Classes meet for 25 hours per week, during the day or evening. You can take CLIP classes for up to one year.
Follow one of these steps to enroll in CLIP:
- After you’ve been accepted to CUNY and informed that you placed into an English as a Second Language (ESL) course, complete the CLIP Recruitment Form
- If you have not yet applied to CUNY, see information about applying to CUNY
- If you are already an enrolled student taking classes, you must be referred to CLIP by an academic adviser or professor at your college
Note on cost:
CLIP is a low-cost program. Most students pay a fee of $180 for a 14 to 16-week semester (25 hours per week). Some students qualify for reduced fees. Students do not use their financial aid while in CLIP. Instead, they save their financial aid for college coursework.
See CLIP enrollment information, calendar, and fees for the fall semester.