This eight-week program provides English instruction and prepares New Yorkers to work as commercial drivers.
This program helps unemployed New Yorkers with Class D licenses start new commercial driving careers. Through eight weeks of training, the program provides students with English language instruction and helps them prep to take the NYS Class B Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) road test. It also helps grads find a job with a network of NYC employers.
Who it's for
To be eligible for this training program, you should:
- Live in NYC
- Be legally allowed to work in the US
- Seek to improve your English
- Be 21 years or older
- Be low-income, unemployed, or receive public assistance
- Be able to pass a drug test
- Have no DWIs or DUIs
- Have had a valid NY State Driver’s License for at least two years, with no more than one of the following:
- Four points or fewer
- One suspension (must be cleared for at least two years)
- One conviction showing on the driver record
- Be able to attend training Monday–Friday, 8am to 5pm
The ideal applicant has conversational-level English skills, but wants to expand them and learn industry-specific vocabulary before starting the commercial driver training. New Yorkers with a criminal record are encouraged to apply.
Training takes place Monday–Friday during the day.
The program also offers services in Spanish.
To apply for the program, you first must meet virtually with a Training Advisor at Washington Heights Workforce1 Center. Fill out the NYC Small Business Services Interest Form to get started.